The initiative Protect Kids: Fight Flavored E-Cigarettes aims to combat this epidemic and push leaders to act. No amount of nicotine is safe for kids. While teen smoking has fallen drastically over the last 20 years by 70 percent, a new generation is at risk of becoming addicted to nicotine through e-cigarettes.
This program will work in several ways:
- We will demand strong laws that prevent e-cigarette companies from marketing to kids, and a crackdown on online sales to minors.
- We will help concerned parents make their voices heard, through participation at public hearings and in other ways.
- We will fund ad campaigns to raise awareness and counter marketing by tobacco companies and push back when tobacco companies distort science or resist regulation that protects public health.
- We will also work with members of Congress to pressure the FDA to act more quickly and aggressively to confront the youth vaping epidemic.
- We will continue to build momentum at the state and city levels. To begin, we will help at least 20 states and cities pass laws banning all flavored tobacco products, including flavored e-cigarettes.
- We will evaluate the impact of this initiative on youth use, and share lessons with other cities and states, so that they can join the movement.