Environment Communications Associate
Bloomberg Philanthropies works to create catalytic change across five areas of focus: arts and culture, education, the environment, government innovation, and public health. Our mission is to ensure better, longer lives for the greatest number of people. Our approach is rooted in Mike Bloomberg's unique experience and success across the field of business, government, and philanthropy.
The Environment Portfolio
Bloomberg Philanthropies’ Environment program brings together a wide range of partners, including cities, businesses, public health and environmental advocates, and citizen’s groups, to address some of the most serious threats to our environment, including climate change and overfishing. Left unchecked, carbon pollution causes long-term impacts on the global climate, including rising global temperatures, rising sea levels and extreme weather patterns, as well as health risks such as worsening smog and a range of respiratory illnesses. Overfishing poses risks to a vital food and economic resource for billions of people.
Bloomberg Philanthropies drives measurable, local action on climate and sustainability through our programs including Beyond Petrochemicals, Beyond Carbon, American Cities Climate Challenge, Global Coal and Air Pollution, Vibrant Oceans Initiative, Sustainable Cities, Sustainable Finance, and through Mike Bloomberg’s unique roles as a leading global environmentalist and Chair of the Task Force on Climate-related Financial Disclosures.
Our Environment Communications team supports campaigns and builds partnerships that turbocharge the global energy transition, mobilize climate finance and ESG strategies, support sustainable cities, stop air pollution, and protect the ocean. The Environment Communications Associate will work to ensure strong coordination, connection, and communications between members of our growing team, and between the team and the larger Bloomberg Philanthropies communications, social, video, and content teams.
The role is based in New York and may require occasional travel.
- Provide day-to-day administrative support and workflow coordination for the environment communications team including owning and updating internal trackers; facilitating review processes across the organization; and reporting out to all constituencies on progress
- Prepare and review high-quality written materials, including one-pagers, memos, press releases, social media toolkits, briefings, and presentation slides
- Conduct select research for different initiatives and launches
- Media monitor in real time and flag relevant issues and coverage with key stakeholders
- Help troubleshoot process-related challenges
- Work with team to set benchmarks for projects and announcements; help them more effectively report out on their achievements and learnings upon completion
- Bachelor’s degree with a minimum of 3 years of relevant experience with proven organizational management skills and a keen understanding of how communications teams work
- Interest and familiarity with environmental and climate related issues a plus
- Experience and capability in effectively managing simultaneous projects, prioritizing multiple tasks, and meeting (and beating) deadlines while exercising sound judgment and maintaining clear-headedness under pressure
- Ability to create excellent written communications; Fluency with social media and keen understanding of how issues move through print and digital channels
- Comfort/understanding of domestic and international public affairs and politics as they relate to climate and the environment
- Ability to effectively receive and apply feedback
- Strong relationship-building, problem-solving, strategic-thinking capabilities coupled with an outcome, delivery-oriented approach
- Experience working on live high-profile events and interacting with the press
- Ability to protect confidential and sensitive information on behalf of the organization
- Flexible, positive, and collaborative personality
Bloomberg Philanthropies is an equal opportunities employer, and we value diversity at our organization. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Bloomberg Philanthropies provides reasonable adjustment/accommodation to qualified individuals with disabilities. Please tell us if you require a reasonable adjustment/accommodation to apply for a job or to perform your job. Examples of reasonable adjustment/accommodation include but are not limited to making a change to the application process work procedures, providing documents in an alternate format, using a sign language interpreter, or using specialized equipment. If you would prefer to discuss this confidentially, please email email@example.com.
The referenced salary range is based on the Company's good faith belief at the time of posting. Actual compensation may vary based on factors such as geographic location, work experience, market conditions, education/training and skill level.