Program Manager, Government Innovation
Bloomberg Philanthropies works to create catalytic change across five areas of focus: arts and culture, education, the environment, government innovation, and public health. Our mission is to ensure better, longer lives for the greatest number of people. Our approach is rooted in Mike Bloomberg's unique experience and success across the field of business, government, and philanthropy.
Our Government Innovation programs build the capacity of local governments to solve problems effectively. Its initiatives – ranging from large-scale international innovation competitions to domestic efforts that help mayors hone their management skills and better use data in decision-making – equip local leaders with practical tools and approaches they can use to address local challenges. We currently invest in more than 200 municipal governments worldwide through grants, technical assistance, and participation programs. Our team strives to be collegial and collaborative with an orientation toward learning at the individual, group, and portfolio levels. We are energized to advance our mission, while also working to ensure team members have full and balanced lives and opportunities for growth.
The Government Innovation team is seeking a proactive, detail oriented and knowledgeable Program Manager. The Program Manager will report to the Government Innovation Deputy Director of Programs and support Program Leads for select Government Innovation initiatives, with principal focus on the Leadership initiative. In this role you will manage and coordinate programmatic work of partner organizations; support program design and grantmaking with partners and provide feedback on reports from partners; communicate with partners on program activities and metrics and milestones; prepare internal reports; support communication on the programs; and support senior staff in the overall direction of Government Innovation programs.
The successful candidate will be an entrepreneurial, strategic thinker with a demonstrated passion for public sector innovation and familiarity with urban issues or innovation skills gained through experience in government, consulting, public policy, and/or a related field. The candidate will bring sophisticated project management skills and the ability to manage programs from strategy development to implementation and impact assessment. They will thrive working in a fast-paced, results-driven environment, and will bring the capacity to synthesize complex information and share it effectively with different audiences.
In the role of Program Manager, 70% of your work plan will be dedicated support for the Government Innovation Leadership initiative, and 30% support for another initiative on a rotational basis within the Government Innovation program.
We seek candidates who are detail oriented, strong communicators, strategic, adaptive, curious, and team players.
- Liaise with partners, senior city hall staff, grantees, and VIPs in the Bloomberg Philanthropies network to support Government Innovation programs and associated grants to cities and implementing partners
- Oversee the development and execution of special events series associated with the Government Innovation’s City Leadership initiative, this would include:
- Developing and maintaining content documents and run of show; participant lists and databases; calendar of events and associated timelines; and providing onsite staff support.
- Manage the development, implementation, and management of strategies for measuring and tracking program outcomes and impacts against goals and grant requirements
- Help monitor grantee performance through analysis of outcome data, grantee reports and site visits
- Work with grantees to ensure that grant monitoring reports, and compliance documents are submitted, reviewed and shared internally in a timely fashion.
- Produce compelling content that our communications teams can use and disseminate
- Communicate project goals and updates in a clear way
- Highlight specific grantee accomplishments
- Document lessons learned across cities
- Prepare compelling presentations for a variety of external and internal audiences
- Work closely with grants management team to plan, execute and manage grants and partner contracts
- Liaise with grantees, partners and internal stakeholders to develop program budgets and address grant and budget issues (e.g., budget modifications, no-cost extensions and re-allocations)
- Where appropriate, elevate grant and contract issues to team leadership with proposed solutions
- Take-on special projects on an as-needed basis and otherwise assist with ongoing program initiatives part of the broader Government Innovation portfolio
- Conduct research and help develop strategies for expanding the reach and impact of existing initiatives
- Work with partner organizations and external consultants to schedule meetings, facilitate workflows, meet, deadlines and produce results
- At least 8+ years of relevant, full-time work experience in government, consulting, public policy, and/or related field; direct experience in local government strongly preferred
- Experience working and communicating with program staff within an organization
- Demonstrated project management a plus
- Strong capacity to identify and elevate critical information and produce synthesis for colleagues
- Passion for public sector innovation and familiarity with urban issues
- Excellent interpersonal, written, verbal, and analytical skills
- Creative problem-solving ability
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail
- Ability to work independently with a decentralized team
- Ability to build cooperative, respectful, and trusting internal and external relationships
- Comfort working in high pressure environments and a demonstrated ability to meet deadlines
Bloomberg Philanthropies is an equal opportunities employer, and we value diversity at our organization. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Bloomberg Philanthropies provides reasonable adjustment/accommodation to qualified individuals with disabilities. Please tell us if you require a reasonable adjustment/accommodation to apply for a job or to perform your job. Examples of reasonable adjustment/accommodation include but are not limited to making a change to the application process work procedures, providing documents in an alternate format, using a sign language interpreter, or using specialized equipment. If you would prefer to discuss this confidentially, please email email@example.com.
The referenced salary range is based on the Company's good faith belief at the time of posting. Actual compensation may vary based on factors such as geographic location, work experience, market conditions, education/training and skill level.