Environment Program Associate
Bloomberg Philanthropies works to create catalytic change across five areas of focus: arts and culture, education, the environment, government innovation, and public health. Our mission is to ensure better, longer lives for the greatest number of people. Our approach is rooted in Mike Bloomberg's unique experience and success across the field of business, government, and philanthropy.
Bloomberg Philanthropies’ Environment Programs bring together a wide range of partners, including cities, businesses, public health and environmental advocates, and citizen’s groups, to address some of the most serious environmental issues including climate change and ocean threats.
Bloomberg Philanthropies drives measurable, local action on climate and sustainability through our programs including Sustainable Cities, Beyond Carbon, Global Coal and Air Pollution, Vibrant Oceans Initiative, Sustainable Finance, and through Mike Bloomberg’s unique roles as the UN Secretary General’s Special Envoy for Climate Action and Chair of the Task Force on Climate-related Financial Disclosures.
As an Environment Program Associate you will provide program management support, administrative assistance, communications coordination and impact analyses to our Program Lead. Strong written and oral communications, attention to detail, flexibility/availability and project management skills are a must. You’re a team player who can manage multiple priorities, work with many stakeholders, and thrive in a fast-paced, results-driven environment.
The role is based in New York and will require occasional US domestic and international travel.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide coordination support among international partners, grantees, and networks
- Support the Program Lead in developing internal recommendations, tracking progress, and standing up programs in new geographies
- Help monitor grantee performance through analysis of outcome data, grantee reports, and visits
- Support Program Leads with day-to-day grants management including: due diligence, proposal and budget review, and coordination with grantees on submissions and deadlines.
- Produce content for internal and external use in close partnership with the communications teams
- Coordinate among internal teams – especially communications, events, content, and speechwriting
- Support Bloomberg Philanthropies convening role with governments, private sector and philanthropists
- Provide day-to-day support to the Program Lead including: scheduling meetings, proactively anticipating administrative needs, arranging travel, and managing expenses.
- Prepare written materials, including one-pagers, memos, briefings, and presentation slides.
- Conduct research and analysis.
- Support for events and partner meetings, including invite lists, guest correspondence, materials, and preparation.
- Drive additional projects as needed, demonstrating a commitment to being responsive to priorities and resourcing needs as they shift
While no single candidate will have all these professional and personal qualities, skills and characteristics, the ideal candidate will have the following:
- Bachelor's degree with a minimum of 3 years of relevant work experience handling coordination and project management in a fast-paced environment.
- Demonstrated passion for environmental and climate-related issues.
- Outstanding interpersonal and communication skills and the demonstrated ability to effectively interface with senior level colleagues, both verbally and written.
- Excellent organizational and time management skills.
- Experience and capability in effectively managing/coordinating simultaneous projects, and successfully prioritize multiple tasks with sound judgment.
- Ability and desire to build and maintain strong relationships with team and applicable internal and external contacts.
- Listens intently, thinks clearly, and responds effectively to a variety of inquiries and challenges
- Ability to perform and adapt under pressure.
- Excellent attention to detail. Strong writing and editing ability.
- Ability to protect confidential and sensitive information on behalf of the organization
- Strong overall tech skills. Proficient in MS Suite specifically Outlook, Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
Ideal, but not required:
- Experience managing budgets and/or expenses
- Experience with social media, communications, and/or external relations
- Experience with grants management in a foundation or nonprofit is a plus
We’re proud to provide all full-time employees with comprehensive healthcare coverage, as well as programs and services to help them and their families manage their health and well-being. In addition to health, dental, and vision coverage, we offer disability and life insurance, a retirement savings plan (complete with a generous company match), and an array of wellness programs. We also have perks including fitness and gym reimbursement, commuter savings programs, and discounts on products and services.
Annual Salary Range: $65,000 to $85,000
Bloomberg Philanthropies is an equal opportunities employer and we value diversity at our organization. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. Compensation will be commensurate with experience and accomplishment.